Between Two Holy Days

25-12-2009

I am a broken man
in a paper hat
being taught to celebrate

I am being unravelled
but understanding
how close the Christ child leans
as I spend this holy day
close to tears

I have a backbone
that's not my own,
holding up these things
and all is well
because all of these things will be
so emphatically well
at the end

I am a broken man
with a half-grasp on many truths
and a half-recognition
of what is good, asking,
Does integrity hurt?


Hot Chicks An Easter Hymn (Sing in Dull Tragedy)

Hey, this city,
You with your streets lined with sex and money
There are miracles on your pavements
The dead man stands
(You are no longer enough for me)

Stand up
Something that's extraordinary (now)

I fell in lust with an idea
Of being in with the hot chicks
For the sake of me
My name on lips
Immediately meet my percieved needs

...And then the sun rose...

Stand up
Something that's extraordinary

There are gaps to be filled
Up and down these restless hills
On these orphaned streets
I like the idea
I like the look of light
I like the metaphor but it's not
really a metaphor, is it,
when the sun comes up?